Monday, May 11, 2009

Running frustrations

Okay, by now I've resigned myself to the fact that I will never be a marathon runner. In fact, I can't think of anything much worse, running for 26 miles! But I would like to be able to run 3 miles and it seems so hard to achieve this. I've been running for about a year now, following a plan that should get you running 3 miles in nine weeks. Dare I admit that? ;-) I have made it to 20 mins uninterrupted running, but that's as far as I've got and I never feel as if it gets any easier. Yes, the plan stipulates you go out three times a week and I don't always manage that, but I'm still out of breath after 90 seconds of running. I'm slow, in fact, so slow that I think someone walking fast could overtake me (well okay, maybe not quite! but it takes me a while to overtake a walker). Everybody keeps saying to me 'o you've got long legs, running should be easy for you'. Last week I got a stitch on both sides! And the worst bit was, when I was running, all I could think was 'I am really not enjoying this'. And yet, I don't want to give up. I will run that 5K at some point, I really will. I just wish I enjoyed the process a bit more!
Any words of wisdom or encouragement gratefully received...