Monday, May 11, 2009

Running frustrations

Okay, by now I've resigned myself to the fact that I will never be a marathon runner. In fact, I can't think of anything much worse, running for 26 miles! But I would like to be able to run 3 miles and it seems so hard to achieve this. I've been running for about a year now, following a plan that should get you running 3 miles in nine weeks. Dare I admit that? ;-) I have made it to 20 mins uninterrupted running, but that's as far as I've got and I never feel as if it gets any easier. Yes, the plan stipulates you go out three times a week and I don't always manage that, but I'm still out of breath after 90 seconds of running. I'm slow, in fact, so slow that I think someone walking fast could overtake me (well okay, maybe not quite! but it takes me a while to overtake a walker). Everybody keeps saying to me 'o you've got long legs, running should be easy for you'. Last week I got a stitch on both sides! And the worst bit was, when I was running, all I could think was 'I am really not enjoying this'. And yet, I don't want to give up. I will run that 5K at some point, I really will. I just wish I enjoyed the process a bit more!
Any words of wisdom or encouragement gratefully received...

6 comments:

  1. Just keep at it! I know you can do it. Cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know people will say this is awful advice but I say if you truly aren't enjoying the running then maybe you weren't meant to be a runner. I tried running years ago and just hated it. I finally stopped. Now I just walk. Do what's in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gave up running a long time ago - brisk walking for me. I'm also thinking of trying Nordic walking sticks - not as painful as running. You are doing very well for persevering this long!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting that you feel compelled to run but you consciously think about how you're not enjoying it while you're doing it. Probably feels good to have done it. I can't imagine running. I don't even like to run for a tram. Maybe you need a little coaching. Is there a club around? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I don't like doing something and don't have to do it what't the point. Find some other goal you can meet and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm! dont know if this is a advice or not, but I agree with Phyllis. Do you enjoy it? Because I found that the the things that I really love to do I make time to do.'
    Maybe you should think it all through, and be honest about it and make a another try and/ or give it up . For whom are you doing it?Why are you doing it? and do you really enjoy it?

    ReplyDelete