Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Simple Woman's Daybook

For Wednesday 16 February

This week is going so quickly, that I totally forgot about the daybook yesterday.

Outside my window... the sun is shining. It's a very weak, almost watery sun, but with a certain softness to it that you get in early spring.

I am thinking... how odd it is that when you wake up on Monday, the week seems so long and Friday seems an eternity away. And then, before you know it, it's Wednesday and the week is half gone, and Friday's just around the corner.
And that happens to me week in, week out.

I am thankful for... last Sunday. Normally B. and I don't get to spend Valentine's together, as it's usually during half term and he goes skiing and I'm off on our seaside holiday. We don't really think that much of Valentine's, we often give each other little presents during the year, but because we were actually together this year, we thought we'd make a bit more effort. So he got me a pink John Deere hat which I love (to go with his latest tractor), and I got him some very expensive chocolates, which he loved, and we had a very big breakfast. Small, simple pleasures.

From the kitchen... was supposed to come broccoli and apple soup for lunch, but I didn't fancy it and had rye crispbreads with cottage cheese instead. Tonight we were going to have macaroni cheese but I have so much to do still that we may well end up having a toasted sandwich at Costa when we have finished our library visit this afternoon.

I am wearing... jeans, a red t-shirt with a red wool cardigan, a thin ski fleece on top and fingerless gloves to keep warm. Most of my clothes are now washed and ready for our holiday next week, which means you end up wearing things from the back of the wardrobe. The red cardigan is a bit itchy and really a little bit too small.

I am creating... I's fingerless gloves. I was doing well and halfway through the second one, when I found that I'd mistakenly cast on with needles 1.25 mm bigger than the first pair. Argh! So had to start again. I am on track to finish them for Friday, which is what she was hoping for.

I am going... to take lots of knitting projects with me to Lyme Regis. What I'm most looking forward to is being in a different environment, away from responsibilities and duties, and having time to do what I want to do. O and having a whole uninterrupted week with the kids, that has to be the best bit.

I am reading... Regeneration by Pat Barker. Only just started, picked it up from the library this afternoon.

I am hoping... for decent weather next week. Which only means that I don't want rain all week. Anything else is fine - snow, storm, sun, I don't mind, not even the odd rain shower. Just not wet all the time.

I am hearing... something on Channel 5 on the telly. I was watching Cowboy Builders with I. earlier and I haven't switched the telly off yet.

Around the house... it needs a good tidy-up. Dad is coming over on Friday evening and I want the house to be left fairly tidy while we're away. Nothing worse than coming home to a house that you've left behind in a messy state.

One of my favourite things... was this afternoon. After the library we had a coffee at Costa. The kids had gone to find a table and by the time I turned up with the tray, they were both engrossed in a book. So I got my book out too and we all sat there quietly reading for half an hour. It was lovely.

A few plans for the rest of the week... laundry, hoovering, packing. And work.

A picture for thought I'm sharing...


This morning's sunrise near to B's house.

Instructions for the Simple Woman's Daybook can be found here.

2 comments:

  1. Hope the weather baehaves and you have a lovely holiday

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you have a lovely holiday. I saw a documentary on telly the other day that touched on Lyme Regis. Its really looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete