Monday, May 12, 2008

Murphy's law

Why is it that when you can think of countless opportunities to knit, you haven't got your knitting to hand?

B. and I went to Durham this weekend to pick up his new van. We were supposed to take the train, would be collected by the seller, and would drive the van back home again. So, a 3 1/2 hour train trip, perfect for knitting, right? Only, when we got to the station and asked for the tickets, the lady said 'that will be 178 pounds please' without so much as blinking. We had to wipe ourselves off the floor. That was only for two singles - if the van was a pile of rust, we'd have to come back on the train too! Needless to say, we said 'thank you but no thank you', got into the car, bought a road atlas and drove up to Durham. We shared the driving up there, then coming back again B. was driving the van and I drove his car. I didn't knit a single stitch. Worst of all, when we got back home, 13 hours later, I was first of all shattered from all that driving, and secondly excited about the new van which he let me drive around the block. So I totally forgot about my knitting back in his car. And it's still there, now that I'm back at my place. I'm taking the kids to the library this afternoon - where I normally knit a bit while they have a cup of tea before we choose our books. I knit when they get home from school and we sit down with tea and a biscuit. But now I can't knit... Okay, it's not the end of the world, I'm seeing him tomorrow evening, but I want my knitting back! (and yes, he lives too far away to just nip over and get it... I learnt that lesson when I left my house keys at his place one day!)

1 comment:

  1. It is a pain when the schedule/plan doesn't work out - especially now that you don't have your knitting with you to unwind!

    ReplyDelete