Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Wednesday 4 January

After a brief but enjoyable few days in Holland we are now back and settled into our daily routine again. Kids went back to school this morning and it is very quiet here. I'm looking forward to 4pm already.

For my birthday a few weeks ago, B. bought me a DSLR. I like taking pictures but haven't ventured much further than just using my little compact digital camera. It was getting on a bit though, the zoom didn't work so well anymore and B. kept saying 'I ought to buy you a new camera'. And then he turned up with a DSLR. I'm really pleased with it, but I'm also very daunted by it. It has so many options, functions, buttons, slides - and as I'm not very technical, I don't really understand what they're all for. I'm happily experimenting, but forget what settings I've used or end up with photos which are nice and I don't know why, or rubbish and I don't know why either! It's frustrating - I want to use the camera to its full potential, but deep down I'm slightly worried that it's a bit too complicated for me and that I'd have been better off with a simple point-and-shoot. I can't seem to find a book that caters exactly for what I want: changing one setting at a time and telling you what to do. I've never been good at jumping in at the deep end, I'd rather paddle cautiously in the shallow bit to gain some confidence.
I'm not giving up though, frustrated though I may be, and it'll be interesting to see if my images have improved by this time next year. So maybe another New Year's resolution: improve my photography skills?

Stairwell in University Museum in Utrecht

3 comments:

  1. My father gave me my first DSLR a NIKON D80 in 2007. I said then I needed to be able to know what all the buttons did first and then the good photos would come of themselves. I did courses too at the German adult centres, but the best help was Scott Kelby. He wrote "The Digital Photography Book". ISBN 0-321-47404-X published by Peachpit Press. He wrote Book 2 and 3 as well. They are small books, so do not intimidate one, and I learnt most of what I know from them. Now I have a NIKON D300s! I also found that one needs to take 10000 photos before one can feel confident in the camera's use. I love my NIKON camera and will always be grateful for the world my father opened for me by giving me A DSLR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my DSLR - it does take a while to get used to but I wouldn't go back to point and click now. If you're feeling daunted and it's a good camera, just whack it on auto for the first few months. Then you could play with some filters - they're fairly self explanatory and easy to keep track of since they're a physical appendage. As digital photography is free too, you're as well just playing with things and seeing what works for you. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh so much fun you must have. My bf gave me a nikon dx(d) 3000. I love it. and want to get myself a zoom lince. I think it is sooo much more fun klicking away now than before. But as you say there are lots of buttons to get to know. I have written down the book by Scott Kelby. I do want to learn more. Happy klicking

    ReplyDelete