Thursday, May 23, 2013

Wednesday 22 May

Blog Every Day in May - Letter to 13 year old you

Yes, yes, I started this post yesterday and promptly forgot to finish it. Also because I'm trying to set the right example to the children and not spend too much time on the internet after they come home. A day late it is then!

When I was 13, I had just started at a large grammar school in a large town, coming from a very small and safe village school. Although I loved my education, which suited me down to the ground, on a personal level I had a difficult 6 years. I really didn't fit in with the people at the school, they didn't like me - well, the least said about that time, the better really. But I never said anything to anyone about it, thought it was something that was just part of life, that I had to grin and bear. Looking back at it now, I should have told my parents (who didn't find out until I was well into my twenties) or a teacher, and really, I should have gone to another school.

So, what I would say to my 13 year old self is, don't be afraid to speak up.

My overriding priority for my children has always been that they're happy at school. I think, I hope, they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment